Posted by Shaan on May 13, 1998 at 13:39:51:
In Reply to: weight loss posted by Lily Flower on May 10, 1998 at 08:01:25:
I had the same problem, only WANT to lose 17 pounds but failed in a lot of diets. So I found a 'fitness buddy' from forums like these. He has suggested a couple of things for me which has gotten me very excited as I am starting to see the change in 2 day... mind you, thus far the change is in moods and attitude not in weight. Perhaps it will help you too.
.......Make it your priority. 3-4 times a week of cardio (even if you start with 10 minutes a day... you should at your strongest level do at least 35 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week).
.....types of exercises
3-4 times a week cardio (run, tread, swim, aerobics, stairmaster)
2-3 times a week weight lifts. If you are a woman, don't worry you will not get big. That was my concern initially because I am only 4'11" tall and didn't want to look like a round muscle ball. But am actually enjoying the weights and have seen the results in just the first week! The tricep does not wobble anymore!
2. Eat low fat foods such as pasta, rice, potatoes, breads etc.
3. Don't forget the protein. That is more important when you are exercising. My buddy suggested I drink protein powder shake since my diet does not give me enough protein. Talk to your local health/nutrition store like GNC.
4. Drink 2 GALLONS (yup, you heard it right) of water. Obviously if you are just starting out, it will take you some time to get to the 2 gallons, but start now... You will see how healthy this advise is as you get fitter and stronger and work-out more.
5. Take it slowly. You want to make sure you get to your ideal weight 'safely' so you maintain that weight.
Initially, you might want to stick to 1 exercise for a week and gradually increase.
5. EXERCISE, EXERCISE AND EXERCISE... think of it as a treat not "treatment"! And make it what's fun to you.
Lastly, if you are anything like me, I used to make all sorts of excuses... "I am tired today. I will start tomorrow. I will eat less instead of exercise today."
...WON'T WORK. Commit and stick to it... think of it like competiting to win your 'fantasy' whatever that may be. You have just gotto win, you have gotto to make it! And you will....if you just get off the couch and start. That worked for me, self scolding tactic.
And like my buddy always tells me....
In good health!
I find Cory Everson (www.coryeverson.com) home page very motivational. She also has a motivational program where her staff emails you for a week things to do (exercises). Try it out! Also, you should search the net for all sorts of fitness site, I find that helps me 'stay' in the fitness mood.
Post a Followup