Learning to Act Like a Professional
If you want to be a professional then start acting like one. You can take concrete steps to make
yourself a professional.
1. Read professional journals and newsletters in your field of interest.
You can find them in libraries or on the Internet. These types of journals can keep you current
on recent developments within your selected field and possibly lead to a job.
2. Join local student clubs or associations. These kinds of activities will help you build relationships and teach you how to interact with people.
3. Interact with professionals in your chosen field.. You can communicate with top
professionals on the Internet. Don't be afraid to ask questions of members of the professional community --
many of them enjoy talking to students.
4. Enter any intern or mentorship programs available in your field. Students can learn
an enormous amount by working under a mentor.
5.Explore any special interests that are not covered in your classes by independent
reading . Learn about a field because you want to know more!!
6. Investigate to see if there are any programs, lectures, or conventions in your area in the field
you want enter.
7. Ask your school guidance counselor about programs and information about any career you
may be interested in. Counselors can guide you when selecting classes that relate to a particular field.
8. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Successful professionals are always looking for ways to
improve themselves by getting information any way they can. So go ahead and ASK!
9 Never loose your cool. If you have a problem go through the proper channels. Getting angry
and losing control shows you are acting like a baby. There is little room for temper tantrums in
the working world. Professionals know how to achieve success without punching someone out.
10. Be on time and get your work done. Time is money in the professional world and people
hate to lose money.
11. Never submit or send a paper with careless errors in spelling or grammar. Polish your
writing skills in school. Once you are a professional, grammatical mistakes or generally poor
writing skills may be a handicap.
12. Keep any good term papers, inventions, research reports, or projects as samples of your work. Sometimes these samples can be a persuasive tool in an interview.
FOLLOW ALL THESE STEPS AND YOU WILL BE A PROFESSIONAL !!!!!!