From researching to real solution!!!
Our team's researching activities
Based on the opinion of the students, the principle and the other employees in our school, we found that the students need to learn more about energy, adapted to their age which means that we need to make different lectures for children from I-V and VI-VIII grade and activities provided for children with special needs who are included in the regular teaching.
Therefore, we started a research with encyclopedias and web pages. The leading questions in our research were:
1. How to motivate the students to gain knowledge about the energy, her importance and her saving?
2. What type of activities ( exercises..) to prepare for testing their knowledge ?
3. What type of games to prepare for greater motivation and interest in saving energy?
4. How to organize the lectures and the exercises and for how many target groups?
5. To define the tasks of the energetic club which we are going to form.
6. How we are going to emphasize the students who started to save energy?
7. What will the money from the energy saving be used for?
8. How are we going to include the local community in our project?
Poll about students' knowledge for energy
Starting from the popular problem with beyond measure wasting energy we decided to put a poll about the students' knowledge for energy. These were the leading questions in the already conducted poll:
1. Do you know how important is energy in the environment?
2. Do you think that it’s necessary to take some measures for saving energy in our school?
3. Do you know some methods for saving energy?
4. Do you think that in our school energy is wasted when it’s not necessary?
5. Are you ready to learn something more about saving energy?
6. Do you know that with saving energy we are saving the environment too?
|We conducted questionnaire about energy with 50 students of our school, and here are the results|
Conversation with our school psychologist
We had a really great conversation with our school psychologist talking about the students' level of awareness for saving energy.
: Can you tell us how many students know about the energy, its importance and do they save energy at all?
The school psychologist: There are students in our school with different nationalities, different religion and live in different social surroundings. I drew a conclusion from the conversation with the students that the students have basic knowledge about energy and its importance, but a few of them think for the future of the energy. The most important factor in situation like this one is the family and their social status. The children who grow up in families with low social status save more energy, especially in their homes. In these families the parents talk least with their children for saving energy like a global problem. While the children who live in surroundings with higher social status don’t think much for saving energy like a way for saving money because they are satisfied of their material necessities. But, there are exceptions of children who talk a lot with their family and they are following the events in the world for saving energy.
ThinkQuest Team: How we can best affect to our friends in the matter of saving energy?
The school psychologist: You should take measures and different activities adapted to the children on their age and possibilities. Most important of all is the students in the activities to give their contribution with their ideas and opinions. The students should feel like important participants in the process for saving energy, not like passive observers.
Based on the research and the conversation with the employees in our school we defined the activity plan for our project that actually represents the answers of the leading questions for our research. Here's the plan:
- Exploring the current situation in the school for consumption of energy, the reasons for that and research of the opinion of the students, the school personnel and other members from the community.
- Creating materials for realization of instruction with three target groups on theme “Change your habits - save energy” (Division of the activities in tomes). The instructions will be different for students from I-V grade, students from VI-VIII grade in which there will be included students with special needs and the third target group represents the school personnel and other members from the community.
- Creating energetic club, arranging meetings of the energetic club, choice for leader in each energetic patrol and defining the tasks of the club.
- Checking the students’ acquired knowledge through different workshops, quizzes, educative games.
- All students get the task to paint out everything what they learn and how they will use their knowledge, and then to prepare exhibition and to choose the best painting.
- To recycle some parts of old papers in the school on which we’ll paint out the project logo and it is going to be set like adornment in the classrooms which started with saving energy.
- To purchase waste-baskets intended for collecting papers and plastic for recycling.
- To plant trees in the school yard and seedlings with flowers for decorating the classrooms.
- To conduct poll with the students, school personnel with the members from the community and with parents, for the results from the realized instruction and to estimate the conducted activities.
- Defining the activities which will continue in the future for protection of the environment and for saving energy.