The technical area described in Law 3, International F.A. Board Decision no. 2, relates particularly to matches played in stadia with a designated seated area for technical staff and substitutes as shown below.
Technical areas may vary between stadia, for example in size or location, and the following notes are issued for general guidance.
- The technical area extends 1 m (1 yd) on either side of the designated seated area and extends forward up to a distance of 1 m (1 yd) from the touch line.
- It is recommended that markings are used to define this area.
- The number of persons permitted to occupy the technical area is defined by the competition rules.
- The occupants of the technical area are identified before the beginning of the match in accordance with the competition rules.
- Only one person at a time is authorised to convey tactical instructions and he must return to his position immediately after giving these instructions.
- The coach and other officials must remain within the confines of the technical area except in special circumstances, for example, a physiotherapist or doctor entering the field of play, with the referee's permission, to assess an injured player.
- The coach and other occupants of the technical area must behave in a responsible manner.