Sprinkle the ground moose meat with the spices and herbs and mix with the celery and shallots. Divide the meat into 4 parts and shape it into 4 large patties 1 1/4 inches thick. Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each patty and secure them with toothpicks. Saute the meat patties in 2 tablespoons butter, at high temperature, then lower the heat and continue cooking to rare or medium according to taste. Remove patties from the skillet and make a sauce with 2 tablespoons butter and red wine. You may wish to add 1 tablespoon coffee. This is excellent when served with non-poisonous Alaskan wild mushrooms. Serves 4.
- 1 pound ground fillet of moose
- 4 crushed bay leaves
- coarsely ground black pepper
- pinch paprika
- fine herbs
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 large stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coffee (optional)
© Copyright 1997 Elizabeth Beckett and Sarah Teel
If you have any questions or comments please send them to (Sorry, this email link is outdated.).