Issues Around The World
Here are the list of issues that overcome to our world :
High power demands that exceed the energy sources
The common energy sources are non-renewable.
Although there are another options for renewable resources, the operations are still conditional through the geographic and climate factors.
The energy resources used are producing air pollution, effecting:
o CO2 -> green house effects -> trap the sunlight - > global warming
o CO -> react with hemoglobin -> respiratory disorders
o SOx -> formation of acid rain
o NOx -> formation of smog in the sky (causing health problems)
o CxHx -> cause carcinogenic problem
World and Pollutions Video
This video illustrates issues that concern in pollutions that are emitted by industries and factories with the respect to promote people to save our Earth. Created by Genta
File Type: application/octet-stream: 8.54 M
|Picture 1 - Exploration of fossil fuel||Picture 2 - Metropolitan city|
Pollutions? where it come from?
At present, we are facing various mass of pollutants which being produced by the power plants that using non-renewable resources as their fuel. Combustion of fossil fuels generates sulfuric, carbonic, and nitric acids, which fall to Earth as acid rain, impacting both natural areas and the built environment. In the United States, more than 90% of greenhouse gas emissions come from the combustion of fossil fuels.Combustion of fossil fuels also produces other air pollutants, such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, VHC (Volatile hydrocarbon) and SPM(Suspended Particulate Matter) are produced by the power plant all over the world. These green house gases from around the world trap heat emitted from Earth’s surface, thereby insulating and warming the planet. Consequently, we would like to compose a great plan which is the usage of Algae as the source of environment-friendly energy and moreover it is also acted as the excellent absorber of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. Algae can be manufactured into bio ethanol (C2H5OH). This bio ethanol only comprises carbon, hydrogen and oxygen elements in the absence of sulfur element that is extremely hazardous to every living things, if it mixed with water vapor that can trigger the phenomenon of acid rain.
In the exploitation of natural resources as shown in Picture 1, expecially fossil fuels are expensive and hazardous. Well, In Rahayu village, Bojonegoro, Indonesia people obtained various awful impacts such as the extreme upsurge of temperature (Balai Lingkungan Hidup stated that the temperature raised up to 65 degrees Celcius from 35 degrees Celcius in Rahayu village), stinking smell, noise pollution and effected the plants.
Picture 2 showed the current condition of the world that already been contaminated by the air pollution. Hence, we would like to reduce the concentration of the pollution significantly by the plantation of Algae because Algae can minimize carbon dioxide up to 1000 tonnes/hectare/year (Trubusid 2008).
What're the impacts?
There are several impacts that are happenned because of the pollutions :
• Average temperatures have climbed 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degree Celsius) around the world since 1880, much of this in recent decades, according to NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
• The rate of warming is increasing. The 20th century's last two decades were the hottest in 400 years and possibly the warmest for several millennia, according to a number of climate studies. And the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports that 11 of the past 12 years are among the dozen warmest since 1850.
There are some other impacts :
- Health problems such as Eye Irritation, respiratory disorders, cancer,etc.
According to the multinational Arctic Climate Impact Assessment report compiled between 2000 and 2004.
- Arctic ice is rapidly disappearing, and the region may have its first completely ice-free summer by 2040 or earlier. Polar bears and indigenous cultures are already suffering from the sea-ice loss.
- Glaciers and mountain snows are rapidly melting—for example, Montana's Glacier National Park now has only 27 glaciers, versus 150 in 1910. In the Northern Hemisphere, thaws also come a week earlier in spring and freezes begin a week later.
- Coral reefs, which are highly sensitive to small changes in water temperature, suffered the worst bleaching—or die-off in response to stress—ever recorded in 1998, with some areas seeing bleach rates of 70 percent. Experts expect these sorts of events to increase in frequency and intensity in the next 50 years as sea temperatures rise.
- An upsurge in the amount of extreme weather events, such as wildfires, heat waves, and strong tropical storms, is also attributed in part to climate change by some experts.
The Global Warming Effects
|Pole melts||Acid Rain|