Precautions, Solutions, or Alternatives When Using Lead Paint
Lead paint, when breathed in or swallowed by children can cause learing disabilities, decreased growth, hyperactivity, impaired heaing, and even brain damage. To prevent inhalation or lead particles, don't burn painted wood if the paint may contain lead. Also, don't scrape or sand lead paint, because large amounts of lead dust can get in the air. Have the lead paint removed professionally. Keep all occupants, especially children and pregnant women away from the areaso they don't breathe in dust accidentally.
As a short-term solution, lead paint can be painted with non-leaded paint. This is not the whole solution, however, since the paint can flake off and expose the lead paint for flaking as well. Lead paint is usially not a problem except in places where painted surfaces rub against each other and create dust (For example, when you open a window, the painted surfaces rub against each other.)
Make sure that children don't chew on anything covered with lead paint, such as painted window sills, cribs, or playpens.
Return to Previous
Go to No Frames Version