Lead Poisoning Awareness
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 1 in 11 children in America have high levels of lead in their blood. Lead doesn't have a distinctive smell or taste, so it is easy to overlook. Lead can be found in the dust, paint, or soil around your home, or in your drinking water or food. We have also put lead in paint, gasoline, water pipes, and many other products, but since learning how harmful lead can be, paint is now unleaded, leaded gasoline is being phased out, and household plumbing is no longer made with lead materials. Since lead doesn't break down naturally, it's problem doesn't go away over time. It will remain there until removed.
Lead has many serious and dangerous effects on children, including: learing disabilities, decreased growth and other genitourinary problems, hyperactivity, and brain damage. Lead can be passed from a pregnant woman to her developing child. However, there are several steps that can be taken to prevent children from getting lead poisoning.
1. Get your child tested for lead poisoning, even if he or she seems healthy.
2. Clean floors and window sills with a solution of powdered dishwasher detergent and water. Most multi-purpose cleaners will not remove lead in ordinary dust.
3. Reduce the risk from lead paint. Make sure your child is not chewing on anything covered with lead paint
4. Don't remove lead paint yourself.
5. Don't bring lead dust into your home from work or a hobby.
6. Have your water tested. If the cold water hasn't been used for more than 2 hours, let it run for 30-60 seconds before drinking it or using it for cooking.
7. Eat right and don't store food in high-lead pottery.
Return to Main Menu