A Kilt Pattern
History of Clan McDougal
by Lauren Caine
(My ancestors on my mother's side, the MacDougalls, came from Scotland.)
1. Stone age people lived in Scotland 6,000 years ago.
2. At the time of Christ, people called Picts lived in Scotland. These were "big red-haired" people who "fought nearly naked to show off their tatoos of animals on there bodies." When they joined together they called themselves Caledonians.
3. When Romans invaded England, they could not conquer the Picts.
4. People called Scots came to the western side of Scotland from Ireland in the mid 5th century. They brought the Gaelic language and founded an early civilization called Dalriada.
5. Christianity was brought to Scotland by St. Columba in 563. He landed on the small island of Iona where he built Iona Abbey. It can still be visited today.
6. Vikings from Ireland, Norway and Denmark raided both coasts of the British Isles for hundreds of years. A complete Viking village which was excavated and restored beneath the city of York, England, can still be seen today.
7. Sometime in the 12 th century "Norse" people from Norway invaded and captured all the western Scotish Islands which are referred to as the Hebrides.
8. In the 1120's, most of the Hebrides and a large portion of the western side of Scotland was ruled by Somerled the Great of Norway.
9. At this time the Island of Men ( between Ireland and England ) was ruled by Olaf, King of Man.
10. The marrige of King Somerled to Reghnild, daughter of Olaf, brought toghether all the Hebrides and all the western side of Scotland as well as the Isle of Man.
11. The marriage of Somerled to the daughter of Olaf brought three sons, Dougal ("Dubh-Ghal" in Gaelic,) Reginald, and Angus.
12. Dougal (being the oldest son) inherited approximately 1/3 of Scotland.
13. In the year 1164, Dougal started the first Scottish Clan, after the death of Somerled. All males after Dougal were called MacDougall. (Mac means "son of.")
14. By the year 1200, the MacDougals had between 6,000 and 7,000 men under arms. They also owned 9 castles.
15. MacDougalls have had a rich history but, unfortuately, they have lost most of their lands by being on the wrong side of wars. Last was with Britain in 1747 (Battle of Culloden) that put an end to Clans as fighting units.
16. The present Clan Chief (31st) owns the Island of Kerrera in Oban and Dunollie Castle, where MacDougalls have lived continuously since King Ewan MacDougall built it in tne 1150s.
17. Present Clan Chief, Morag Morley, niece of Coline MacDougall (30th Clan Chief.)
18. Today MacDougalls live throughout the world, keeping in contact by clan societies. MacDougall Clans of America represents families of Americans. Present President: Mr. Walter MacDougall, R. F. D. #2, Box 98, Milo, ME 04463
Here is a a letter I received from my Aunt Vera and Uncle Ray in Scotland:
Return to Families Return to Beginning