Print out this activity. Use the Internet resource links
at the bottom of this page to uncover the achievements of twenty-five black
Americans highlighted on the "Stamp on Black History" website.
Each link is used once to answer one question.
- 1. Who was one of the founding mothers of the blues
and also known as the "Empress of the Blues?"
- 2. Who was the first African American to reach the
North Pole? ______________________________
- 3. Name the person who founded the city of Chicago.
- 4. Who cofounded the NAACP?____________________
- 5. Which scientist came up with more than two dozen
uses for the peanut? _____________________________
- 6. Who was the organizer of the nation's first trade
union for black workers? _________________________
- 7. Who invented the "Lasting Machine" to
help mass produce shoes by stitching the leather of a shoe to the sole?
- 8. Which scientist created a drug that is used to
treat glaucoma, a disease that results in blindness?
- 9. Who was one of the West's most exciting black cowboys?
- 10. Who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1950 because
he worked for peace for all races throughout the world?
- 11. Who discovered that blood plasma could be preserved
and stored longer than whole blood?
- 12. Name a famous black fur trader and hunter.
- 13. Which singer was known as the "Queen of the
- 14. Who was the director of the National Urban League
for many years? _______________________
- 15. Name the scientist who helped organize Omega Psi
Phi, a national black fraternity. ___________________
- 16. Who was the first black Brigadier General?
- 17. Who was known as the "Father of the Blues?"
- 18. Name the famous Black American artist who painted
"The Banjo Lesson." _________________________
- 19. Who was the educator who challenged the cultural
bias of standarized intelligence tests? ________________________
- 20. Who was the successful Black American recording
artist known for his recording of the "Christmas Song?"
- 21. Who was the first black woman pilot?
- 22. Who was America's first black millionaire?
- 23. Who was the first nationally known gospel singer?
- 24. Name the blind, folk musician, and harmonica player
who advanced the art of harp accompaniment.
- 25. Who was the famous gospel singer known for singing
"Precious Lord Take My Hand?"
- Internet Resource Links:
- Ida B. Wells (Barnett)
- Jim Beckwourth
- Ralph Bunche
- George Washington Carver
- Nat King Cole
- Bessie Coleman
- Dr. Allison Davis
- Benjamin O. Davis, Sr.
- Charles R. Drew
- Jean Baptiste Pointe Du Sable
- W.C. Handy
- Matthew Henson
- Mahalia Jackson
- Percy Lavon Julian
- Ernest E. Just
- Jan E. Matzeliger
- Bill Pickett
- A. Philip Randolph
- Bessie Smith
- Henry O. Tanner
- Sonny Terry
- Sister Rosetta Tharpe
- Madame C.J. Walker
- Dinah Washington
- Whitney Moore Young
on Black History Home Page Menu