Cachet/First Day Cover Activities
Design a poster for a new Black History-related stamp scheduled for release later in the year. The Black History-related stamps to be released in 1998 are:
Select a Black History-related stamp that is scheduled for release later in 1998. Draw a design or create one (cachet) using your computer related to the stamps theme on an envelope. When the stamp is issued, place the stamp on the envelope and mail it to the "first day city" where the stamp was officially issued. Request that the stamp be canceled on the first day of issue.
What is a Cachet/Cover?
A cover is an envelope. A cachet is a commemorative design or official seal depicting an important person or event in history, with a postage stamp in the upper right hand corner,with a cancellation over the stamp. (almost like when you look at regular envelope and see when it was postmarked.)
How to Prepare Your Own First Day Covers
FOR UNITED STATES STAMP ISSUES
Customers usually have 30 days to obtain first day of issue postmarks by mail. Sometimes the deadline is extended when the stamps or postal stationery are not readily available in post offices..
1. - Purchase the new stamps or postal stationary items at a local post office, local philatelic center, or by mail from the Philatelic Fulfillment Service Center..
2. - Collectors should affix the stamps to the upper right corner of envelopes (making sure the total postage affixed is 32 cents or more). Envelopes can be either plain or with special cachet designs for that particular issue. Covers for a new stamp or stationary item may include additional uncanceled postage issued before the new item. Covers may not include postage issued after the new item'scancellation date (such covers will be returned unserviced by the USPS).
3. - Address the envelopes (to yourself or others) using light pencil or peelable return address labels that can be removed after the cover is returned.
4. - Insert a card of postcard thickness for sturdiness, and tuck in the flap.
5. - Place the envelopes in a larger envelope addressed to the first day city. The address is:
CUSTOMER AFFIXED ENVELOPES
NAME OF STAMP
FIRST DAY CITY, STATE ZIP CODE-9991
where the name of the stamp, first day city, state and zip code refer to the particular info for that issue.
6. - Requests must be postmarked on or before the deadline.
Stamp on Black History Home Page Menu