Black Holes FAQ
Click on a question to go to its answer.
- What is a black hole?
- Wouldn't a black hole up everything in the universe?
- How are black holes created?
- Can only stars become black holes, or could planets and other things become black holes? If not, why is this?
- How do we know that black holes exist?
- Are we in any danger of falling into a black hole?
- Could the Sun become a black hole, and if so, what would happen if it did?
- I've heard rumors that there is a black hole near Pluto. Is this true?
- Who made up the term "black hole"? When?
- Is a black hole really "black"?
- Is a black hole a bottomless pit (or "hole") in space?
- What happens if I jump into a black hole?
- Does a black hole ever fill up?
- How big are black holes?
- Do black holes live forever?
- Can we make a black hole in a laboratory?
We encourage you to send in questions to add to this section. We'll do our best to answer them. Just send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.