United States Recipes
(This is a wheat pudding made from ingredients that were around when the pilgrims first arrived.)
1 cup cracked wheat
a pinch of ground mace
1 quart milk
1\2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
extra brown sugar
1) Boil up water in a large saucepan. Add the wheat, put the lid on the saucepan, lower the heat and leave to simmer for 1/2 an hour or untill soft.
2) Drain off the water and add milk, cream, salt, mace, cinnamon and sugar. Leave to simmer untill nearly all the liquid is absorbed. Stir from time to time.
3) In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and slowly stir 1/2 a cup of the wheat mixture into the yolks. Then stir this mixture into the saucepan. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Sprinkle with brown sugar and then eat.
Mrs. Galle's Stollen
(Rachel Starkey's Mom usually makes Christmas Stollen and then she gives it to family and friends. It is a nice sweet bread and takes most of the day to make. Rachel's Mom got this recipe from a lady who is now dead, but who came from Germany.)
5 lbs flour
1 lb of sugar
1-1/2 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons nutmeg
Put all these ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add 1 quart of warmed milk which has 5 packets of dissolved yeast in it. Add 4 beaten eggs and mix into a dough.
Add 1lb butter
3-8oz jars of candied fruit
1-4oz jar of candied cherries
2 packets of light raisins
Knead dough well and leave to rise untill it has doubled. Shape into 5 large or 10 small oval loaves. Let rise again untill it has doubled. Bake in a moderate oven until browned and has a hollow sound when you tap it. Sprinkle with sugar, wrap and use or freeze.
1) Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 4 egg yolks(slightly beaten) together.
2) Stir all the time as you add 2 cups of scalded milk. Cook over hot water until the mixture coats the spoon. Cool and then strain.
3) Add 1/2 pint of heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Freeze in a metal or plastic container.
4) When you want to eat this remove from the freezer, wipe it carefully and let it stand for 1 minute in cool water. Then remove the container and it is ready to serve.