Chrismas Cake and Christmas Pudding Recipes
250 g raisins
50 g blanched almonds
50 g glacé cherries
50 g figs
250 g currants
250 g sultanas
50 g mixed peel
150 mL brandy or pineapple juice
300 g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
250 g butter/margarine
150 g brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Prepare the fruit: cut raisins in half; and chop almonds, cherries and figs into small pieces.
3. Mix currants, sultanas, raisins, mixed peel, almonds, cherries and figs together. Pour brandy or juice over mixture and leave to soak.
4. Sift flour, salt, baking powder and spices together.
5. Beat together the butter and sugar until light.
6. Beat 4 eggs well then add gradually to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix well.
7. Add fruit and nuts to the flour mixture and stir well.
8. Place in a well-lined tin. Turn oven down to 140°C and cook approximately 2 hours. Leave to cool in tin. Store wrapped in foil.
for 6 large servings
185 g raisins
1 cooking apple
125 g butter (from refrigerator)
185 g soft white bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon plain flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
185 g sultanas
60 g mixed peel
185 g sugar
2 tablespoons brandy
1. Chop raisins and peel and grate apple. Beat eggs in a bowl. Shred butter.
2. Place bread crumbs in a mixing bowl, sift over the flour, spices and salt.
3. Add butter, fruit and sugar.
4. Beat eggs and brandy together. Add to the other ingredients and mix thoroughly. The mixture should be fairly soft.
5. Spoon into a buttered 18 cm pudding basin. Cover the basin with a circle of foil and tie securely with string. Make a handle over the top of basin with string for easy lifting.
6. Lower pudding into sufficient boiling water to come half-way up the sides of basin. Boil steadily for five hours. As the water evaporates refill with more boiling water. Do not allow to go off the boil or boil dry. Boil for a further 1 1/2 to 2 hours on the day it is served.
7. Serve with whipped cream.
Note: This pudding will keep in the refrigerator for twelve months.