Have you ever listen the word xenophobia? Do you know what it is? Well in this page you will know its definition, symptoms and treatment options. According to the New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, xenophobia is “An unreasonable fear, distrust, or hatred of strangers, foreigners, or anything perceived as foreign or different” (New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, 2005), so we can say that is a mental disease of fear or dislike to a different culture, customs and more.
Some of the symptoms of this disease are:
- Dry mouth
- Avoidance of public or social situations
- Becoming mad
- Losing control
- Dying fear
- Anxiety attack
- Inability to think clearly
- And more.
There are many ways of treating this disease. Some of these ways are:
- Energy Psychology: Is a kind of psychology treatment that uses Chinese antiques techniques.
- Anti-anxiety medications
- Hypnotherapy: Is an alternative medicine that treats health disease with the help of mind power.
- Behavior therapy: Is a kind of treatment that pretends to change bad or undesirable behavior for good ones.
Interview: What Means Xenophobia to You...
Xenophobia is NOT a disease, is not included in the psicological or psychiatric classification. It is a concept very related to racism, and, therefore, is studied by others branches of knowledge, mainly by the sociology or social sciences. We are talking about something in an ideological level.
The concept is not so much to “help” to someone who can have these visions of the World, but rather to facilitate instantes of dialogue with those who have this ideology, in order to Exchange ideas and try to see other points of view.
I hope have been helpful, greeting
Dr. Cristián Mena H. Unidad de Farmacovigilancia de Clozapina Instituto Psiquiátrico