29 Apr, 2009
- 3.Threat statusVulnerable(KA) Endangered(kl) Data Deficient(TN)
- 4.HabitatDry deciduous to moist decidious forest
- 5.Mode of propagationBy seeds and root-suckers
- 6.PhenologyFlowering: september to november ;Fruting: december to july
- 7.Vernacular nameshindi:Arlu,Urru,Sauna Sanskrit:syonakah Kannada:alangi,bunepaale,pathagani Marathi:Titu,Ulu
- 8.DistributionGlobal:India,Srilanka,Myanmar, Malaysia and Malacca. National:Occurs throughoutthe country epecially in the warner parts. Regional:In karnataka it is seen commonly in the moist decidious forests of Chikmagalur,Dakshina and uttara kannada ,Uduppi, Coorg distrts.
- 9.Medicional usesThe root is one of the ingridents of 'dasha moola',which is used as anti-inflammatory,appetizing, digestive carminate,antiperiodic,tonic,anthelmintic, inflammtions,sprains,hiccough,cough, asthma,bronchitis,indigestion,diarrohea,dysenetry,gout,vomiting,leucoderma,wounds,rheumato-id , arthritis and fever.the leaves are useful in ulcer and headache.The tender fruits are useful in cough,bronchitis,indigestion and leucoderma .The mature fruits are useful in cardiac disorders , intestional worms, bronchitis and bleeding piles.The seeds are purgative.
- 10.Special charactersThis tree can at once be reconisedin the field by its 2-3 times branchrd large leaves ,striking large purplish flowers and huge sword -likeflat woody fruits.
- 11.NotesIncluded in negative list of exports.
- 12.DescriptionA medium sized decidious tree,growing 5-10 metres tall,about 75cm girth.Bark about 6mm thick,rough,surface,browinshgrey.Blaze yellowish green in colour.Wood is yellowish white ,soft.branchelets robust, with prominent corky lenctiles,glabrous.Leaves opposite ,2-3 pinnate ,1-1.8 m long;each pinnae opposite;leaflets 3-9 ,odd-paired ,each ovate-elliptic ,7-15 '5-8 cm,base unequal,rounded or sometimes cordate,apex acuminate, margin entire,glabrous.Flowers bisexual in large erect terminal racemes;pedunclestout,robust,up to 1m long;calyx up to 3cm long,dark purple,bell-shaped ;corolla reddish purple outside,pinkish yelliow inside ,about 5cm across , tube about 8cm long.Capsules large,flat,linear,50-100 8-10cm,brown,tapering at both ends, glamours Seeds many ,5-7'2-4 cm ,rectangular ,flat,winged all around except the base.
- 13.Trade informationLocal and regional.The root bark constitutes the drug shyonaka that is sold under the trade name shyonaaka mool chaal or sonaapaathaa mool chal.The material is sometimes adulterated with stem bark.A commonly used substitute in rajasthan and gujarat is the root bark of Ailanthes excelsa,known as Arluka or arlu.