Conclusion and Citations
What did we learn?
We learned that the system we use today is called the Indo-Arabic, which was brought from India to the West. The oldest numbering system is the Egyptian, it was used more than three thousand years ago.
But the most difficult for ancient folks was creating the zero "0". As the zero "0" means nothing, there was no need for a symbol of nothing.
Did you see how many numbering systems have passed before coming to ours? This was even more difficult than creating the number 0.
In our project, people can see how many numbering systems exist.
Which system is the most curious?
Which numbering system is the most interesting in your opinion?
Total Votes: 4
We had some problems but the team decided to talk to each other.
The chosen topic is difficult and we studied very much. Also it was difficult drawing some numbering systems, and it was impossible to write them in the ThinkQuest "text" tool. Then we decided to create some MS Word files. One member had some difficulties, but it does not hurt our performance.
Instead of copying files, we created our own drawings and took pictures. We read various texts and tried to summarize what we understood. We won the challenges with great teamwork and great collaboration.
We researched in the municipal library and computer room of the school several times. And at home we finished the work.
- 1.When the notion of number appearedwww.slideshare.net/guest3b0191/apresentao-sobre-sistemas-de-numerao
- 2.The history of Mesopotamia numberswww.dmt.ufms.br/~sonia/Material/SEMED/Documentos/Unico.pdf
- 3.The first Chinese numbering systemwww.invivo.fiocruz.br/cgi/cgilua.exe/sys/start.htm?infoid=982&sid=9
- 4.The second Chinese numbering systemMathematics Teacher Book, Department of Education of the State of São Paulo, 1st term of 2009
- 5.The Mayaswww.colegiosaofrancisco.com.br/alfa/sistema-de-numeracao-maia/sistema-de-numeracao-maia.php
- 6.The history of Roman numeralswww.mundovestibular.com.br/articles/515/1/ALGARISMOS-ROMANOS/Paacutegina1.html
- 7.The binary numbering systempt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistema_bin%C3%A1rio_(matem%C3%A1tica)
- 8.The binary numbering systemwww.linhadecodigo.com.br/Artigo.aspx?id=1648
- 9.Egyptian Numeration Systemeducar.sc.usp.br/matematica/l1t5.htm
- 10.Mayan map and picturewww.yucatan-revealed.com/.../yucatan-map.jpg www.historiadomundo.com.br/.../maia_ruinas1.jpg