Who Owned the Museum?
Wayang Museum is a museum owned by the Provincial Government of Jakarta, the Museum of History beginning after Pekan Wayang Wayang II in Jakarta that has been successfully taking stock and collect various forms of wayang in Indonesia. Then appears the idea to incorporate them in a museum.
This idea is supported by various parties, especially NAWANGI (Nasional Pewayangan Indonesia). After gained more collection of wayang from Mr. Budihardjo. The Wayang Museum was inaugurated by the Governor, Mr. Ali Sadikin on 13 August 1975.
|Front of Wayang Museum.||This a picture of a monument inside the Wayang Museum, it's surrounded by a small garden.
|The monument inside Wayang Museum.
The Beginning of Cafe Batavia
This building was originally called The Old Dutch Church (De Oude Hollandsche Kerk), and it is built in the year 1640, M. In the year 1732 M, the building is repaired and changed its name to Church of New Netherlands (De Nieuwe Hollandsche Kerk). However, the earthquake that happened in the year 1808 M, destroyed some part of the building.
Then again, built in 1912, and sold by the Dutch to a company called Geo Wehry & Co. and used as offices until the year 1934. In the year 1936, ownership of this building was changed after it was purchased by an Institute of Science, Art and Culture in Batavia Dutch government. Then in 1957, this building was given to the Indonesia’s Culture Institute and the finally, Museum Wayang was announce officially on 13 August 1975.