Chronology of WW1 (Part 2)
* 6th- Peru and Uruguay break with Germany.
* 9th- Poelcapelle and other German positions captured in Franco- British attack.
* 23rd- American troops in France fire their first shot in trench warfare.
* 23rd- French advance northeast of Soissons.
* 24th- Austro-Germans begin great offensive on Italian positions.
* 25th- Italians retreat across the Isonzo and evacuate the Bainsizza Plateau.
* 26th- Brazil at war with Germany.
* 31st- Beersheba, in Palestine, occupied by British.
* 1st- Germans abandon position on Chemin des Dames.
* 3rd- Americans in trenches suffer 20 casualties in German attacks.
* 6th- Passchendaele captured by Canadians.
* 6th- British Mesopotamian forces reach Tekrit, 100 miles northwest of Baghdad.
* 7th- The Russian Bolsheviki, led by Lenin and Trotzsky, seize Potrograd and depose Kerensky.
* 8th- Gen. Diaz succeeds Gen. Cadorna as Commander-in-Chief of Italian armies.
* 10th- Lenin becomes Premier of Russia, succeeding Kerensky.
* 15th- Georges Clemenceau becomes Premier of France, succeeding Painlove.
* 21th- Ribecourt, Flesquieres, Havrincourt, Marcoing and other German positions captured by British.
* 23th- Italians repulse Germans on the whole front from the Asiago Plateau to the Brenta River.
* 1st- German East Africa reported completely conquered.
* 1st- Allies' Supreme War Council, representing the United States, France, Great Britain and Italy, holds first meeting at Versailles.
* 3rd- Russian Bolsheviki arrange armistice with Germans.
* 5th- British retire from Bourlon Wood, Graincourt and other positions west of Cambrai.
* 7th- Finland declares independence.
* 8th- Jerusalem, held by the Turks for 673 years, surrenders to British, under Gen. Allenby.
* 10th- Panama at war with Austria-Hungary.
* 11th- United States at war with Austria-Hungary.
* 15th- Armistice signed between Germany and Russia at Brest-Litovsk.
* 21st- Ludendorff launches his series of major offensives, known as the 'Kaiserschlacht' in an effort to gain a decisive victory before the effect of the America entering into the War can be fully realised. Major successes are reported.
* 23rd- German offensive redirects towards Amiens and Paris.
* 28th- German Operation 'Mars' repulsed at Arras.
* 4th-5th- Australians halt German advance at Villers Bretonneux.
* 9th- German launch 'Georgette' offensive against British at Lys.
* 23th-24th- British attempt to blockade Ostend harbour fails.
* 27th- German offensive 'Blucher' launched.
* 29th- German troops advance to the Marne but are stopped by US Divisions.
* 15th-16th- Austrian offensive at Asiago defeated by combined British and French force.
* 15th- Ludendorff launches final offensive.
* 8th- Anglo-French counter-attack at Amiens supported by heavy artillery and 400 tanks achieves major successes. Ludendorff describes it as 'the Black Day' for the German army.
* 12th- American offensive at St Mihiel.
* 23rd- British 15th Cavalry Brigade attacks Haifa.
* 26th- Allied offensive at Meuse-Argonne.
* 26th- Ludendorff is dismissed.
* 28th- Kiel mutiny by German sailors.
* 1st- Americans breakthrough German defences at Meuse.
* 3rd- German Sailors Soviet take control of Kiel.
* 3rd- Americans cut vital Lille-Metz rail link.
* 11th- On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, the Armistice is signed effectively halting the War. The final Treaty of Versailles, is signed on June 28, 1919.