SP North Seaside - The Paradise in Earth
· Our goal...
is how creators of this site, and native "caiçaras", show people around the world the beauty and achievements of our culture.
· Because we are...
residents of the north coast of São Paulo, Brazil, we will focus on four major cities and important caiçaras cities: Ubatuba, Caraguatatuba, São Sebastião and Ilhabela (focusing especially our city, Ubatuba).
· We just ...
refer to all places considered as "caiçaras" found in Brazil. We intend to show the culture, lifestyle, heritage and marvels of Caiçaras.
· We want...
to show the importance of our culture, and we hope everyone will be interested and able to rescue that culture with us.
· And we hope ...
we can really show our former and current lifestyle to all of you
· Hugs from:
* Giuliana Imperato, # Mariana Batista, * Gláucia Nogueira and # Adílio Baptista
|Statue of Jesuit priest José de Anchieta, located on the Iperoig beach, in tribute to him who, along to Manoel da Nóbrega, signed Iperoig Peace in 1563 with Indians.||Current Fundart (Art Foundation of Ubatuba), that was formerly the house of Porto, in the front square the slaves were sold and coffee was comercialized.||Alley of the lighthouse, one of the best points to observe the sea at Ubatuba!|
History of Ubatuba
"Ubatuba", in Tupi-guarani language, both means land of many canoes or land of many cane.
Ubatuba had its official establishment on October 28, 1637, by the Portuguese colonizers, thus opening the increasing contact of Europeans with this land. In chronological order was the 9th city to be founded in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. Indeed, the history of Ubatuba began in 1555. The travel writing("Two trips to Brazil") of Hans Staden, a German prisoner of the Indians, tells many informations about that place to us.
But something more important: Ubatuba is in the records of the Jesuit priests Manoel da Nóbrega and José de Anchieta. On September 14, 1563, they signed the Treaty of Peace Iperoig with the Indians, after convincing the Tupinambá people to support the Portuguese in the fight against the French.
The second part of the History is related to economic issues: Ubatuba was a large pole in the cycle of coffee. Thanks to its seaport, the city has reached a per capita income higher than the city of São Paulo, so our city was considered the largest town in the state at that time.
The railroad Jundiaí-Santos brought the dethronement of Ubatuba, and decadence was great, but its importance was brought back by Rio-Santos highway, in the 70s, which meant that the city was considered a bathing resort.
Currently the city has a population of 80,000 inhabitants, but about 800,000 people visit the city in the seasons of summer and 500,000 in the holidays. It means a challenge: do not let their main source income, tourism, decay due to lack of infrastructure. It is the city where the sun appears early to start the summer, bringing visitors from around the country and outside to contemplate its beauty and know the lifestyle of Caiçaras.
|Landscape typically caiçara in São Sebastião: the sea and the boat of a fisherman||The "caiçaras" fishing on the beach in São Sebastião|
History of São Sebastião
The region was occupied by Tupinambá and Tupiniquins Indians before the Portuguese colonization, and the Serra de Boiçucanga - 30 km south of São Sebastiao - was a natural division of the lands of the tribes.
The dispatch of Americo Vespuccio, on January 20, 1502, passed along that coast and the city received its name in honor of the saint's day: San Sebastian. The Portuguese occupation occurs with the early history of Brazil, after the division of territory in Hereditary Capitanias.
The "sesmeiros" who started the village were Diogo de Unhate, Diogo Dias, Joao de Abreu, Gonçalo Pedroso de Escobar and Francisco Ortiz, they developed local agriculture and fisheries.
At that time the region had dozens of sugar mills, account for a greater economic development, and the place was a political core housing.
The political-administrative emancipation of San Sebastian was on March 16, 1636.
The "discovery" of São Sebastiao as a tourist destination following the opening of the Rio-Santos Highway in the late 70 gave the council another opportunity of development, now based on tourism. So eco-tourism is now the assumed option by sebastianenses as a way to develop and balance its economy.
|Waterfall of Jaraguá, located in the south of Caraguatatuba||Beach of Camaroeiro||Sunset at Beach of Capricornio|
History of Caraguatatuba
The origin of the name also hark back to the natives (Tamoio tribe) who called the place with the name of a plant (Caraguatá) that existed in a large quantity in the region.
Caraguatatuba has its origins when João Blau, captain-governor of Capitania of Itanhaém, in the years of 1653/1654, founded the village of Santo Antônio de Caraguatatuba.
In 1770 the governor of São Paulo's Capitania ordered to representatives of the "new city", together with all the people that they could, to demarcate the place for the city council, chains and more public buildings, where already existed the church for exaltation to Saint Antonio.
The installation of the county occurred on 23 November 1857.
Within an initial area of 4,020 acres, the Farm of São Sebastião hosted families of foreigners installed in homes of masonry. In 1927, the Farm of São Sebastião (also called Farm of the Englishmen) changed the social and economic framework of Caraguatatuba:
• Increase of population of the municipality;
• labor-specializing in agriculture;
• craft activity began to be marketed;
• development of internal and external trade;
• the media rapidly expanded;
• respectable increase in revenue Municipal, State and Federal.
On November 30, 1947, through Law No. 38, Caraguatatuba was elevated to the category of bathing resort. The district was created in 1959 by Act No. 5282 and installed on September 23, 1965.
The Farm of the Englishmen remained as the factor of economic development to district until the arrival of tourists. It was one of the three largest of its kind in South America.
With the disaster of 1967, half of the farm was under the mud. The resumption of activities took place in the 90s, when the Serramar Livestock installed a high-tech livestock project in the same place, still in activity.
Then the city came to be known as bathing resort.
|First there was a small village called "Villa Bela da Princesa", in tribute to Princess of Beira||Then the island was called "Formosa"||And nowadays it is called "Ilhabela" that means, in Portuguese language, "beautiful island"|
History of Ilhabela
Conhecida internacionalmente como a capital brasileira da vela, Ilhabela inicialmente chamou-se Vila Bela da Princesa, em homenagem á princesa da Beira.
Começou a ser povoada em 1603 e hoje tem mais de três quartos de seu território tombado pelo patrimônio histórico.
Só por isso dá para ter uma idéia das belezas e das raridades que o turista vai encontrar na cidade, aproveite, o vento está soprando ao seu favor.