Celic Dere Monastery
Celic-Dere Monastery inherits and keeps on with the monastic tradition from Dobrudja, which begins in the 4-th century. The Christianity in Dobrudja is emphasized by the activity of Celtinia Metropolitan Seat and especially by the activity of Vicina Metropolitan Seat.From this last Byzantine Orthodoxy Center in 1359 Nicolae Alexandru, the leader of Wallachia called Jachint Bishop founded Ungro Wallachia Metropolitan Seat.
|In this wonderful place full of legend and history, faith and hope, at the end of 18th century , a few monks came from Atheos mountain and settled.Here they built a monastery surrounded by a few cells|
|Between 1833-1840 the archimandrites Dositei, Paisie and Atanasie, having the blessing of Greek Metropolitan Seat from Tulcea in 1840 they rebuilt the new monastic establishment Celic-Dere.||The name Celic-Dere comes from the place:Dere-Valley, Celic-Strawberry.|
|In 1846 the first church is built in the name of the Assumption of the Virin and it is Decided that the Monastery should be populated by nuns.|
In 1901 the Bishop Partenie Clinceli founds the monumental church having a bassement used as a chapel. In 1916the church is finished, but all the arhitecture and painting details continue untill 1932.Inside the monastery it were founded a primary school for adults and a school for teaching church painting.
|The beautiful monastery seen from a far view.||The backside of the monastery.||The mill near the monastery.|
Objects in the church
In the monastery there are many valuable objects from the historical and the artistic point of view,completing a real treasure :the relics of the Saint Atanasie archimandrite (1800-1880), the icon of Jesus Christ and the icon of the Virgin painted on wood (1600), artistic embroideries , religious objects, the Bible of Serban Cantacuzino(1866).
"Icon that only clean"
It is situated to worship in the church of the monastery chapel. It is called "Icon that only clean" because, although in the past was totally black, while the face of the Savior was lit mostly.
In the context of Russo-Turkish conflict, from the beginning of the XIX century, around the year 1816, arrived on these lands man of an Austro-Hungarian army, which had over the icon.
Finding here a group of monks, the icon has a parent, saying that: "Father keep this icon! If you will not live up to the end, those who will follow to keep this icon.
Have great piety through it will commit a great miracle. The icon you can see one that is black, but in time the eyes wil open and wil clean.
Now, after almost two hundred years we can see that the man was saying the true.The icon has cleaned herself more than half and the eyes has start to open.