Maximising Your Handheld Gaming Consoles
On this page, you will learn how to manage some responsibilities on the use of handheld gaming consoles. You can then minimise the risk of suffering from negative effects in order to take full advantage of its benefits. With good habits, your parents would also learn to trust you better.
1. Keep a suitable distance away from the screen
- About one feet will be good.
2. Take breaks
- You are recommended to take a 10-15 minute break every 45 minutes. This applies even if you believe you do not need it.
- If your wrists, arms or eyes feel strained, rest till the effects wear off.
- For incessant pain, consult your doctor.
3. Keep Organised
- You may want to keep a timetable and stick to it, to make certain you do not neglect important commitments or priorities like school work.
- Always make careful considerations before you act so that you will not hurt yourself.
- Only spend within your means, lest you become accustomed to over-spending.
4. Engage in a variety of genres
- If you fear an inclination towards aggressiveness and only play violent games, it will be wise to also engage in other genres.
- Not only will it provide you with a different experience, it will also allow you to learn new skills through varying scenarios.
- Many puzzle genre games that challenge you intellectually not only provide good entertainment but can also help to train the mind.
5. Get out
- Take day-offs from your gaming habits. This applies to computer games as well.
- Have a fun time out with your friends away from the consoles to make sure you keep your social skills intact.
- This also helps to ensure you do not become obsessed in video games.
1. Nintendo DS's health and safety precautions booklet. (8th March 2009)
2. Professor Mark Griffiths for his book on Diagnosis and Management of Video Game Addiction. (29th March 2009)