1. Men and women use different bars.
2. Each bar must have at least two weights on it, each weighing at least 2.5 kilograms.
4. The weights are loaded in order from lightest to heaviest.
5. The minimum amount of weight added to the bar after a good lift is 2.5 kg.
3. Weights are color coordinated:
- 25 kg - red
- 20 kg - blue
- 15 kg - yellow
- 10 kg - green
- 5 kg - white
- 2.5 kg - black
- 0.5 kg - chrome
- 0.25 kg - chrome
8. If the judges decide the lift was good, a white light is turned on and the lift recorded. If the lift is judged invalid, a red light is turned on.
In the Olympic Games in Paris in 1896, the events were the one hand and two hand lift.