WELCOME TO THE MARVELLOUS WORLD OF UNDERGROUND ANIMALS
How do they help us?
1. These creatures help in breaking down the dead plants and animals and turn them into humus which is excellent manure for new plants. All the activities of these animals help in stabilizing the soil and making it suitable for reuse by plants again and again.
2. Slugs, snails and many underground animals are a source of food for animals like birds, hedgehogs etc..
3. The mega fauna of the soil, Earthworms, as we all know, burrow through the soil and make it loose and airy. This allows easy penetration of water and roots in the soil well aerated soil allows food microbial activity which enhances the quality of the soil So isn’t it true to say ‘Earth worms are farmer’s friend’.
4. Beetles depend on plants and little creatures underground for their food. The wood and leaves of dead trees is food for beetles, woodlice and most animals living in the soil. Thus they help in decomposing the dead remains in the soil and make the soil rich in nutrients.
5. Spiders catch the insects and flies for food and help in controlling the insect population.
6. Centipedes eat other living creatures in the soil.
8. Millipedes which eat decaying things in the soil help in making nutritious soil for the plants to grow.
9. Nitrogen fixing bacteria help in fixing the nitrogen from the atmosphere and make the soil fertile for our crops to grow.
References: Encarta encyclopedia
Images: public domain pictures free to use
credits:Page created by Arun