There are many reasons why YouTube is a very popular website. YouTube receives up to 100 million videos per day along with just about 20 million visitors of every age per month. The site catches the eye of teens everywhere and even some adults, but this popularity can lead to trouble. Watching a fight may make the child think that it is fine to do the same. While watching an explicit or an R-rated movie, they might try to imitate what is seen. While threats are not always real, they might be afraid to go outside or go to school. There have also been many occasions where teens and adults have been arrested or expelled from school because of the videos that they have posted on YouTube.
Some of the videos on the site are not something you’d want your nine year old to watch:
- Explicit Videos: videos of teens in little clothing, a video of a young girl talking about horoscopes in a bikini making sexual poses
- Violence: videos of fights, teens jumping teens, one of the popular and most talked about video was 8 teens beating up a 16 year old girl.
- Threats: videos of children stating taht are going to beat someone up
- R-rated movies: Movies underage can’t see in the theaters
- Stunts that may lead to serious injuries: someone jumping off a roof on fire into a trampoline
Kids under age are being motivated to do crazy stunts that may result in:
- Jail time
Some effects of the kids watching these videos may also be:
- Imitation of what is seen
- Afraid of going out
- Afraid of going to school
- Disrespecting adults
- Starting fights
- Cursing more often
It is shocking to see kids at a young age attracted to violence and crazy things shown on the website but there is no absolute way of stopping anyone from watching any type of video since there is no way to block it, unless it’s under parental control. Even though the website is blocked, children can go to their friend’s house and watch it there or they can just find a way to go around the security system by hacking it.