Dengue is a dangerous disease caused by a virus called flavivirus.The disease is spread through the bites of female mosquitoes belonging to the Aedes egypti species. This disease usually occurs in tropical areas and Latin american countries. Its occurance has been on the increase in Asian countries such as India, bangladesh and Pakistan.
- as fever with severe body pain or myalgia
- rashes over parts of the body
- body pain is so intense that this disease has been called break-bone fever
- develop involvement of either of the two dreaded syndromes in Dengue - bleeding (called DHF or Dengue Hemorraghic Fever) or involvement of the brain with altered consciousness (encephalitis)
- Joint pain
- headache, vomiting, and photophobia
- risk of complications appears to be greater in children, particularly the risk of bleeding and DHF with its high fatality rate
bleeding in a dengue victim's leg
some patients may become shocked ,a condition known as Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) which too carries a higher risk of mortality.
= regions where dengue are prevalent