Increasing computer speed.
People commonly ask how they can increase their computer's speed. Some of the main reasons a computer may run slow are that you are trying to use too much of your RAM, or your hard drive is cluttered with unnecessary and/or unused files. Following these steps will you keep your computer running smoothly. There are three basic ways to do this:
-Clean up hard drive.
-Clean up hard drive part 2.
-Change startup files.
- First, open the start menu.
- Once the start menu is open click on "Run" and type "dfrg.msc" in the box, as seen below. This stands for Disk Defragment.
Disk Defrag on Run Menu
- Once the Disk Defragment window opens, locate and highlight the driver(s) you want to defragment.
- Once you have your driver(s) selected, click "Analyze." After it is complete, click the "Defragment" button to start the process.
- Once the Defragmantation is complete, the results will be displayed.
- You can either print your results (provided you have a printer set up), or close the box by clicking "close."
- Once you are satisfied, close the Disk Defragment window and proceed to the next step.