Interview Transcripts: Colchester High School
- Are you working to make your school greener?
Yes, there is an environment club run by Mrs Goodwin after school for the juniors.
Mainly student led but there is support from the staff at all levels.
- What are you doing / have you done?
Through the environment club:
- Carried out a litter survey after each break (prep, lower and upper)
- This data will then be collated buy the club to decide which group is worse
- The worst group will then have to litter pick
- It will be seen if this has an effect on litter levels
- Collect Paper rubbish from plastic boxes in each classroom
- Done by the pupils involved
- Signs above light switches to prompt people to turn them off
They are following the EcoSchools Criteria and are aiming for these awards. In the summer the school is planning and environmental awareness week throughout the school.
The majority of the environmental initiatives have been implemented by the juniors as it is a very large school, as the juniors are the easiest to work with
- Do students support you in this mission?
The environmental club seems a success from the number and enthusiasm of the pupils present. The club is student led, e.g. they were choosing recycled merchandise to sell at break to raise awareness (non profit)
- Is it something your school takes very seriously?
The teacher base seems to be aware that there is lots that can be done and are willing to implement initiatives as a school. However they would prefer student led with teacher guidance.
- Are green issues covered in timetabled lessons?
In PSHE they cover:
- Recycling and increasing environmental awareness
- Healthy Eating (Science)
- Transport Survey
- Bio-Diversity using the school grounds
The environmental club seems a success from the number and enthusiasm of the pupils present
During environment week Mrs Goodwin aims to create (with external artist's help) a 3D recycled sculpture on the theme of the "Rainforest"
- Do you think you would benefit from external assistance in making your school greener?
If so, in what?
More advice on the grants available.