If you want to help keep our waters clean, there are
many things you can do to help. You can prevent water pollution of nearby
rivers and lakes as well as groundwater and drinking water by following
some simple guidelines in your everyday life.
• Conserve water by turning off the tap when running water is not necessary. This helps prevent water shortages and reduces the amount f contaminated water that needs treatment.
• Be careful about what you throw down your sink or toilet. Don't throw paints, oils or other forms of litter down the drain.
• Use environmentally household products, such as washing powder, household cleaning agents and toiletries.
• Take great care not to overuse pesticides and fertilizers. This will prevent runoffs of the material into nearby water sources.
• By having more plants in your garden you are preventing fertilizer, pesticides and contaminated water from running off into nearby water sources.
• Don't throw litter into rivers, lakes or oceans. Help clean up any litter you see on beaches or in rivers and lakes, make sure it is safe to collect the litter and put it in a nearby dustbin.
You can also use the Ozone wastewater treatment because is a method that is increasing in popularity. An ozone generator is used to break down pollutants in the water source.
• The generators convert oxygen into ozone by using ultraviolet radiation or by an electric discharge field.
• Ozone is a very reactive gas that can oxidize bacteria, moulds, organic material and other pollutants found in water.
• Using ozone to treat wastewater has many benefits:
o Kills bacteria effectively.
o Oxidizes substances such as iron and sulphur so that they can be filtered out of the solution.
o There are no nasty odors or residues produced from the treatment.
o Ozone converts back into oxygen quickly, and leaves no trace once it has been used.
• The disadvantages of using ozone as a treatment for wastewater are:
o The treatment requires energy in the form of electricity; this can cost money and cannot work when the power is lost.
o The treatment cannot remove dissolved minerals and salts.
o Ozone treatment can sometimes produce by-products such as bromated that can harm human health if they are not controlled.
Copyright 2008 by Grup Scolar Industrial Nicolae Iorga