Now we’ve known about the consequences of not doing anything about improving the surrounding air quality and its drastic effects, here are some solutions to improving the quality of air in side and outside our comfort zones.
We can reduce car emissions of gaseous pollutants in the surrounding air by taking public transport or switch to alternatives such as walking or cycling instead. By doing this, you can also lead a healthier lifestyle killing two birds with a stone at the same time! Neighbors and friends can also decide to go for carpooling, if their destinations are near each other.
Also, do you think that the air quality at home is definitely better than outside of your comfort zone? Then you are wrong, the air quality at home can be two to five times or even hundred times worse than the air quality outside!
And moreover, if we do not do anything about clearing the indoor air pollutants, long –term exposure to these health threatening pollutants can cause many problems to YOU, yes YOU! Do you want to have eye, throat, or nose irritation, headache, dizziness, nausea or even fatigue? Or even cancer, heart diseases and respiratory problems?
Then take a look below at what you can do! You can make the difference:
- Introduce toxin-consuming plants to your homes or working offices, environment. These plants include philodendron, spider plants, golden pothos, peace lilies, bamboo palms, mums, and English ivy. They are beneficial to remove dangerous toxins like formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, benzene from the air, according to research conducted by NASA and other institutions.
- Do not smoke at home! Do you want to get exposed to second hand smoke, even at home? Only you can save yourself.
- Open the windows and doors at home and turn on the attic fans, to improve the ventilation at home. Especially do so if you are involving yourselves in activities that can generate high levels of pollutants, such as painting, cooking meals, or even offering incense to the gods or ancestors at home.
- Clean the vents regularly in your kitchens bathrooms, or even hairdryers.
- If you think that you have asbestos, or lead paint at home or your working environment, call in a professional to clean up and get rid of the pollutants.
At the same time, adults or Government can…
Look for alternative resources
Burning of fossil fuels leads to air pollution. You can look for alternative resources to replace the burning of fossil fuels. For example, you can replace your water heater system at home to one that uses solar energy to function.
Impose stricter laws on the emission of pollutants like sulfur dioxide into the environment. Industries can do their part by installing filters that can clean up air pollutants that will be released into the environment.
The Government can raise public awareness by educating people about the adverse effects of second-hand smoke by setting up campaigns and through the use of media. Government can impose laws by banning smoking in certain areas and increase the taxes for the import of cigarettes and tobacco so as to reduce the number of people smoking. Therapies can be introduced to addicts to help curb their addiction; some examples are Nicotine Substitutes / Nicotine Replacement Therapy.