Facts On Coral
Click here to view a Photo story clip about Coral Reefs
· Coral are ancient animals that have grown for over twenty five million years and more.
· Coral grows in one spot and will grow there for the rest of its life.
· There are three basic types of coral, hard coral, major reef building coral, and soft types of coral.
· Coral reefs are killed many ways, like dynamite fishing, using poisoned bait, and soil and waist being washed into the oceans then into the reefs.
· Coral have a diet of pretty much just algae.
This is a pie chart that shows the pollution and the risks of the coral reefs.
· Brain coral use their tentacles for multiple uses, to grab food, also it wraps it around itself at night to protect itself from enemies, witch makes them one of the most useful parts of the body for protection and eating.
· Brain coral and other corals grow about one, two, or three inches a year.
What coral reefs do for animals
· Coral reefs are like big ecosystems of the oceans, housing many of the oceans sea creatures, it is like the rainforest of the ocean.
Basically, coral reefs are home to thousands of different sea creatures. Coral itself is an animal. It is wrong to pollute these waters, because coral is alive too and it is dying from such pollution. Coral is made up of millions of tiny carnivores called polyps. The mouth of the coral is surrounded by stinging tentacles that can kill small fish. It is protection from other creatures that may eat coral. If coral can also be protection to other animals, such as the clown fish. Now you see how helpful coral is to the ocean environment. You also know it is wrong to be harming them, I hope you do not harm them either!
This is WRONG!
Dynamite fishing kills coral!