We interviewed about 20 people, most of them in the range of 10-13 years old.
Most of them think tutorial classes are necessary because of the following reasons:
- there are too many students in a class at school and the teachers can't meet individual student's needs
- help a lot in academics
- improve the subjects which the student is not good at
- parents want their children to be high achievers
Though a lot of people think it's necessary, a few think it's just a trend because of the following:
- most of the things learnt in tutorial classes are taught at school
- we can ask school teachers
- things taught there are sometimes not related to the things taught at school
Actually the original purpose of tutorial classes is to help students who don't have parents at home to teach them homework or to those who are performing particularly poor academically and can't catch up with the others in class.
But since a lot of students are taking tutorial classes now, some of those who aren't taking them think they are left out for not them when everyone in class does. They just take tutorial classes in order to be "in" and just waste theor parents' money.
Lastly, we conclude that attending tutorial classes can either be a necessity OR a trend, depending on the students' needs.