With just some cylindrical objects, paper, board pins and a pen, you can recreate an ancient Greek military encryption mechanism! The cylindrical object can be anything from an aluminium foil roll to a pencil!
- Get a long, thin strip of paper and wind the strip of paper tightly along the entire length of one of the rolls. Ensure that there are no gaps between each wind.
- Tack the ends of the paper onto the roll using the board pins to hold the paper in place.
- Now write your secret message on the paper. Write big enough so that each letter spans at least two winds.
- Remove the board pins and unwind the paper.
- Your friend can decrypt the message if he also has a cylindrical object of the same diameter. The strip should be wound over the object in the same way as before.
Lo and behold, your message is revealed!
Metamorphosis - The Cheebacabra ( http://www.cheebacabra.com/ )
Obtained from http://www.podsafeaudio.com/
Creative Commons license