Almost all types of dance go by the rules of ballet, but there is one that doesn't just ignore them, it contradicts them. Modern. Modern was co-created by Isadora Duncan in Germany; no other modern dancers were as influential as Isadora. Modern soon migrated from Germany to across the globe, but was not performed in concerts till the 1920's. One dance that is like modern is interpretive dance because it deals with inner and outer realties.
Modern works with gravity when dancing; it doesn't try to defy like ballet. Most of the time when dancing modern your pelvis is low to the ground. Instead of perfect posture like in ballet, you are slouched. This is one of the many rules that modern breaks. Unlike ballet where the center, or core, of everything is the feet, the core in modern is the stomach and torso area. One of the most popular movements in modern is falling; almost every style of dance has a movement that is used in every piece of choreography.
In ballet you wear a ballet slipper; in tap you wear a tap shoe, but what does a modern dancer where? Well actually 90% of the time modern is danced barefoot the other 10% is danced in a unique shoe. Unlike most styles of dance with intricate costumes, the costumes for modern are very sparse. Also modern is choreographed to minimal music and has hardly any stage décor when performed.
Modern is a very complicated type of dance to understand, but if anyone would take the time to watch and hear out the people who truly are interested in it. They will soon understand, too.
Courtsey of Image Google