Firstly, let’s talk about solar
energy. What is solar energy? Solar energy is any form of energy that
is "given" from the sun. It includes light, radio waves and also
X-rays, but the term is more associated with visible light. Green plants need solar energy to produce food,
which is the ultimate source of all food. The energy in fossil fuels
(e.g., coal and oil) and other organic fuels (e.g., wood) is derived
from solar energy.
advantages and disadvantages of solar energy
We know that using solar energy instead of
the usual conventional energy is better. However, in what way is solar
energy better than conventional energy? Let us check it out…
Solar energy has the following advantages
over conventional energy:
- Solar Energy does not require money (The sun is free )
- Depending on the amount of it used, the amount needed
to pay can be very little.
- Solar (and other renewable) energy does not require connection to other buildings or things, it can be used as a stand-alone.
- Solar Energy is unlimited (Until the day when the Sun dies out, which is very very long later..)
- Using solar energy leads to lesser greenhouse
emissions compared to conventional energy
Thus, buildings and other
industrial companies should change from using conventional energy to solar
energy because it helps to conserve our non-renewable resources. Solar energy
is renewable so why not use it instead?
However, solar energy does have a few disadvantages.
- Different parts of the world receives
different amount of sunlight at different times of the day due to the
rotation of the Earth on its own axis.
- There are many other causes that affect the amount of light received.
- The solar panels cost a lot of money too.. Since a vast amount of area is needed in order to generate
enough electricity, some countries do not have the money to afford them.
There are many ways that solar energy can be
used effectively. Applications of solar energy use
can be grouped into there are three primary categories:
heating/cooling, electricity production, and chemical
processes. The most common uses of the solar energy
are for water and space heating. There are also uses such as
ventilating solar air and these uses are growing in
popularity. Due to recent
advances in solar detoxification technologies that helps to clean the
water and air, there are a few applications which uses solar energy
that are able to be competitive with
In short, it means that the solar energy from the sun is either
converted to electricity, or converted to thermal energy to
heat up a fluid to produce steam that will turn the turbine, producing electricity as a result.