The Holocaust in the Northern part of Transylvania
The Jews from the North-East of Transylvania had a different status than the one of the Jews in the Old Kingdome or the ones in Basarabia and Bucovina . On the 30 th of august 1940, by the Dictate from Vienna, Romania was forced to cease a part of Transylvania to Hungary and therefore a part of the Jews in Ardeal (165.000) got under Hungarian administration.
The Hungarian authorities rapidly began to apply the anti-Semitic measures: the magazines, the clubs and the Jewish associations were abolished. When Hungary was occupied by Germany , on the 19 th of March 1944 , to the Jews in Hungary , including those from the North of Transylvania were applied “the final solution”
On the 26 th -27 th April, the Hungarian government, collaborating with the Germans, emitted a decree which stated that all Jews must be concentrated in Jewries. The Transylvanian Jewries centers were the county residences or the city with a numerous Jewish population: Dej, Cluj, Baia Mare, Gherla etc., the process of building the Jewries lasted for a week, between the 3 rd and the 10 th of May. In these centers, the Jews would have been concentrated in the Jewries, isolated zones in the Jew neighborhood, abandoned factories, deposits or brickeries.