Bitmap Image effect
1. Open the picture you would like to create the effect on. If the file is not a BMP than go to File>Save As>BMP. Save the BMP version as a different file name, as you will be using the original later in the tutorial. Example
2. Minimize the original and open the newly saved BMP. Than click on Image>Mode>Grayscale. The pop up window may ask “discard color information” click ok. Example.
3. Than repeat the process Image>Mode>Bitmap. Another window should appear that looks similar to the example. Make sure the image input is the same as the image output. For my example my input is 72 pixels/inch and so is my output. Also make sure the Method you are using is on Halftone Scale. Click ok. Example.
4. On the Halftone screen there are different settings that you can play around with. For the image example I used 50 degree angles, diamond shapes, and a frequency of 53 lines/inch.
5. Open the original minimized picture, than cut and paste the newly created bitmap on a new layer. Than change the layer from normal to soft light. Example.
6. To touch it up a bit try erasing the parts of the bitmap that make the image too dark.