This site would not have been possible without the extensive collaboration between its members; however, since the team includes members from five different countries— USA, India, Australia, Tunisia, and Argentina creativity and commitment was necessary to make effective communication possible. The team utilized various means of communication, including instant messaging, internet telephony, an online forum, and e-mail. During the initial phases of the project, the team used the forum. As the project progressed, faster means of contact such as Yahoo! Messenger, was used.
The team, with coach guidance, identified individual strengths and weaknesses to ensure that tasks were assigned meaningfully in accordance with the talents of its members. For example, Simran was the “techie” of the team and so was entrusted with the actual coding of the Website; the conceptual layout was developed by Dylan. Courtney, being the “artsy kind,” skillfully developed graphics and helped Simran with presentation. Shruthi was the “author/poet kind” and so was the primary researcher and writer; George and Dylan helped as needed. Facundo interviewed experts. In this way, the team's strengths were truly complementary.
A few specific collaborative efforts are as follows:
- The plays included were scripted and filmed by Dylan and Courtney. The video clips were edited and then converted into movies by Shruthi and Simran embedded the movie online.
- Original graphics were drawn by Courtney. They were scanned by Dylan and sent to Simran for inclusion online.
- Shruthi, with her impressive writing skills, authored most of the content. Dylan, George, and Courtney assisted with writing as needed. After feedback was received from all members, a final decision on the content was made via Skype.
- Facundo was entrusted with interviews; however, every team member came up with appropriate, engaging questions.
- During the last two months of the project, the team used Skype on a weekly basis to touch base on the status of the project and to make sure all issues were being addressed in a timely manner.
- During the course of the Web design phase of the project Instant messaging was used by the team extensively to exchange ideas on the layout and presentation of the various pages.
- On an educational level, the team members have gained insight into different learning styles from different countries. Even our primary coach has learned much from this exciting experience and has begun implementing new incentives and methods from the US, India, Australia, and Argentina in her English language classes.
- Socially, it is amazing to know that team members from different continents have managed in the space of few months to forge closer ties between them and are inwardly on fire to visit each other in their own countries.
Because of the team's global nature, the time differences between the members' five countries posed a major challenge. The team cooperatively overcame this by taking turns to work into the wee hours of the night to enable effective real-time collaboration.
Our effective collaboration was crucial to the success of the website you see today.