Materials required:(click links for images)
- Mandrel or Dowel: A tool used to coil wire into springs to be cut into separate rings
- Pliers: Used to open and close rings
- Wire Cutters: Used to cut springs or coils
- Wire: Used to form rings. Different gauges and metals can be used for different effects(Medieval chainmail usually used steel or iron.)
- Riveting Tool: Used to rivet rings shut
- Power drill: Can be used to wind coils at a higher rate
- Band saw: Can be used to cut coils producing more flush closed rings
- Welding Kit: Used to weld closed rings together
Basic Chainmail Units:
- Ring: The basic unit of construction
- Fivelet: The basic unit of construction for 4 in 1 European Chainmail.
- Gauge: The thickness of the wire: measured in standard wire gauge (SWG).
- Inner Diameter: The size of the ring measured from the inner edges of the wire.