Multiplication With Jungle Joe
Joe had some sense that he should build a house in order to survive. "I think I'll make it out of leaves", thought Joe.
He started gathering leaves, until he picked up a big pile of leaves, and there was something else in it besides the leaves. A warm, furry creature jumped out.
"Hi, I'm Saerita the Sloth!"
"Hi, my name is Joe. I'm a mad scientist on vacation. You don't look like a sloth, you look demented."
"That's because I'm a cross between a sloth and some unknown animal. Interesting place for vacation. What are you doing?"
"I'm trying to make a house out of leaves, because I'm lost and I want to go home."
"I know how you can get home. Use your multiplication skills... You do know how to multiply, right?"
"Sorry, I never past the 3rd grade."
"I'll teach you how! That's one of the first steps of getting out of the jungle!"...
How To Do Multiplication
1. Look at the problem. For example- 376 x 9. You are trying to find out how much there is in 9 groups of 376
2. Line your numbers of as shown.
3. Start at the first number and in 376 and multiply it by 9. Then, do the same with every number in 376, going right to left. If you have a number bigger than 10, you carry it to the next place and then add it to the number it is above, just like when you carry numbers in addition. For example, 9 x 6 = 54, so you would put the 5 over the 7 in 376. The 4 would go below the 9.
4. Repeat with every number. For example, 7 x 9= 63. You would add 5 to 63 which is 68. Then, carry the 6 over the 3 and put the 8 by the 4.
5. Lastly you would multiply 9 x 3= 27. You would add 6 to that, and the answer is 33. Because this is the last number you have to multiply, you don't carry the number, you just put it in your answer.
6. To Finish of the problem, put a comma in for every 3 numbers. So, there would be a comma in between the two 3. Your final answer is 3,384.
You Rock At Multiplication!
Didn't Get it? Feel free to go to the practice page.
If you don't understand the words on this page go to the dictionary page!
Dictionary with Dick
Introduction: This page will teach
you about advanced multiplication, with Saerita the Sloth