what is its impact ?
We do not know what the full impact of global warming but we know that even an increase of 2 -3 degrees f (1.2 -1.7 degrees Celsius) could have dramatic effects. Leading scientists predict that a rise of 3 degrees could cause famine and draught and threaten millions of lives. It could also cause 400 million more people to starve and expose up to three billion people to flooding and access to fresh water supplies(2).
The main impact of global warming is climate change; that is directly responsible for the recent changes of climate across the globe. The following are the by products of climate changed caused by global warming:
- Flooding: In South Africa, we have experienced flooding in KwaZulu -Natal and city destruction cost half billion Rands and tourists sites have been washed away .The money that is going to be used to rebuild it could have been used to help the poor.
- Forest Fires: There has been fires that blazed the worlds most adorable mountain, Table mountain. Many plant species died and houses were burnt down .
- Transport: An increase in temperature means that roads, airport runways, railways lines and pipelines require increased maintenance and renewal. That will cause the government to spend more money in transport renewal than to spend it on disadvantage people.
- Migrations: In our own borders, natural disasters caused by climate change as a result of global warming are creating migration problems for governments. A recent example is the flooding in Zimbabwe that displaced thousands of people. As a result, they are migrating to bordering counties, like South Africa.
- Water Scarcity: In the urban people cannot drink rain water because of the factories that produces weak sulphuric acid as a waste gas to the atmosphere and this element is corrosive to sensitive clothes. Farmers are highly dependent on water and the change of climate can affect them and the economy of the country. When the temperatures are high that will cause a reduction of wetlands such as dams because of high evaporation.
South African and other neighbouring countries are experience huge changes, if the sea level may rise we might have our majestic table mountain coverd in water.The mount klimanjaro is loosing its ice cap.the city of cape Town will loose many habours that plays a big role in hte econoimy of South Africa.