150 g of softened butter
150 g of caster sugar
The grated zest of a lemon.
150 g of self-raising flour
4 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons icing sugar
The juice of a lemon.
Set the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF
1) Put the butter into a mixing bowl and beat it until it is soft.
2) Add the caster sugar and beat again and then break each egg into cup. Put them together and beat well with a fork.
3) Slowly add the beaten egg to the butter and sugar mixture. Don't do this quickly because otherwise the mixture will curdle and you will have to start again.
4) Beat in the lemon zest and then sift in the flour. Add the milk.
5) Place the mixture into a non-stick baking tin and spread it flat. Bake for about 40 minutes.
6) Put on some oven gloves and test the top of the cake. If the mixture is springy it means it is cooked but if it isn't bake for an additional 5 minutes.
7) Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and prick the top of the cake with a fork and pour the juice over it while it the cake is still warm.
8) Leave the cake to cool in the tin for about quarter of an hour and them turn it out onto a wire rack and leave it to cool completely.