Construction of an aqueduct
Steps to construct an aqueduct
1.Search for a source (fountain)
- By means of the vegetation,the area and the degree
2.Tracing of the route
- The foreman of the construction or "librator"
calculated the route.
3.Construction of the provisional causeways
- They used them to transport stones and other materials.
4.Excavation of the soil
- In the soft soils a trench was excavated and was
filled with stones.
- In areas of hard rock a channel was formed.
5.Leveling of the soil
- The holes were refilled or the projections were
- Sometimes they had to dig tunnels to cross mountains.
- They were cut.They were carved carefully so that
they fitted well with no need of mortar.
- If "specus" were not excavated on impermeable
rock,it had to be included.
- Once finished the land was covered with earth and
vegetation was allowed to grow on it