* serves five
1. Drain the beans and place in kettle or large saucepan. Fill with water.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, thyme, bay leaf, and sausage. Bring to boil, and simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Remove sausage and set to the side. Continue simmering for 1 hour.
3. In a small saucepan, cook salt pork in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set to the side.
4. In large saucepan, heat chicken fat. Add lamb and remaining salt. Cook until slightly browned on all sides. Pour off the excess fat. Add onions and cook until well browned. Fill with water.
5. Add tomato paste, garlic, pepper, and boiled salt pork. Correct seasoning. Bring to boil, and simmer gently. Drain beans and add to pan. Return sausage to pan.
6. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until meat and beans are tender.
7. Rub the inside of a very large ovenproof dish with a clove of garlic.
8. Remove lamb and sausage from pan and turn contents of pan into ovenproof dish. Cut sausage into slices approximately 1/2 in. thick.
9. Place lamb and sausage on top of beans. Sprinkle with bread crumbs ,and dot with butter.
10. Broil under broiling flame for 5 minutes, or until well browned. Serve it hot.