||There are a lot of ways that you can help stop global warming at your own house! The biggest cause of global warming is the burning of fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas) to produce energy like electricity. So when you save energy at your house, you fight global warming!
Here are some examples of things you and your family can do:
- Replace your most used incandescent light bulbs with the newer coiled fluorescent bulbs which use less energy.
- Plant a tree, because they suck up carbon dioxide and help produce clean air.
- Instead of driving your own car everywhere, try to car pool with someone else. You could buy a hybrid car or fuel-efficient car.
Walk, bike, scooter, roller blade, skate, or skateboard instead of driving. Avoiding 15 miles of driving each week would take down your emissions of carbon dioxide by 900 pounds a year!
- You can reduce you emission of carbon dioxide by 2400 pounds by recycling even ½ of your aluminum cans, paper, etc.
- Reduce garbage by buying products with less packaging and ones that use recycled paper. Compost your food garbage.
- Shutting down your computer and monitor when they are not being used saves 100 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions per year. You can also unplug other appliances you are not using like the TV, the toaster, etc.
- Keep the tires on your car well inflated. Under inflated tires use up fuel 6% faster. Also make sure you change your air filter on the car monthly, this could save 800 pounds of carbon dioxide.
- Contact your local representatives and let them know how important it is to you to save our environment and support legislation for a cleaner world.
- Replace your old, worn out appliances with more efficient new ones. Ones that have the “Energy Star” label.
- Making sure your house is well insulated and using less electricity in general.
|A hybrid car is a car that runs on both electricity and gasoline.
|Compost is a mixture of various decaying organic objects which can be used to fertilize soil. Back
|Using the 3R's At Home| |Stopping Global Warming At Home|
|Saving Water At Home| |Saving Electricity At Home| |Using Solar Energy At Home| |Saving Trees At Home | |Bathroom| |Bedroom| |Living Room| |Kitchen| |Yard|
"Help Stop Global Warming." Race to Stop Global Warming. 28 December 2006. <http://www.racetostopglobalwarming.org/rtsgw2004/stopGlobalWarming.html>.
"Things You Can Do Today to Stop Global Warming." Global Warming International Center. 28 December 2006. <http://www.stopglobalwarming.org>.
Permission to use photographs of the skateboarder and tire are granted under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License or pictures are in the public domain from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. 6 January 2007 - 2 February 2007 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>.
Return to top of page