The 4 Levels of Burns-
- 1st- Degree
Burns- These burns are very minor and can heal quickly.
These burns show redness tenderness and soreness.
- 2nd- Degree
Burns- These burns are serious injuries and should be
treated medically. These burns will blister, cause pain and swelling.
- 3rd- Degree
Burns-These burns need medical treatment instantly. They become white,
brown or charred, with the tissue, surrounding the burn blistered. These burns
have little or no pain at first.
- 4th- Degree
Burns-These are burns that are extremely serious injuries. They not
only affect the skin but also what lies underneath, such as muscle or bone.
The burns of this sort often are electrical burns. What
to do in case of a Burn- (with severe burning 911 must
be called immediately, or as soon as possible)
- Cool the Burn-With burns in the 1st or 2nd degree, you should run cool water on it for 10 minutes. With 3st or 4nd degree burns, cool with wet, clean cloth, until help arrives. DO NOT- Put ice on to a burn, this may delay healing DO NOT- rub a burn, this may cause increased blistering
- Take off any burned clothing, and any excess clothing that is covering the burn.
- Lay the the person on their back if badly injured from burn, elevate the injury if possible.
- Cover the burn-after burn is cooled apply a clean, dry gauze pad to the burn section. DO NOT-break any blisters, this may allow germs to access the wound. NEVER-put grease on burn (such as butter or medical ointments) this may keep the heat in the injury.
- Treat for shock-in serious injuries such as 3rd and 4th degree burns, cover the unburned skin with a blanket to prevent shock.
- Keep matches, lighters, candles, ashtrays, and other hot appliances, out of reach of children.
- Child proof all electric out lets with plastic cover plugs.
- Don't keep old, frayed, broken, or worn electrical cords.
- Don't let children play near stoves, fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, etc...
- Never leave an open flame unattended.
- Never leave hot electrical appliances on.