• WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF A CYCLONE •
BEFORE a cyclone-
- Always keep an emergency kit ready.
- Do not let trees and bushes to grow more than 4 meters long. Don’t even let them touch electric wires.
- Secure your roofs.
- Clear open areas of loose materials that may become wind-blown hazards.
- If possible, fit windows with window shutters.
- Do not plant trees under wires.
- Listen to the weather report frequently.
If there is a warning of a cyclone-
- Shelter pets and animals to save them from the deadly cyclone.
- Shelter your vehicles with blankets or covers.
- Secure doors and windows.
- Put valuables and medicines in your emergency kit.
- Keep your car’s tank full to go somewhere if urgent.
DURING a cyclone-
- Take shelter at a place away from vents.
- Always keep a battery operated radio to listen to broadcasts.
- RUN, and shut the power and gas supplies.
- Do not assume the cyclone is over if the wind drops. It may just be the “eye” of the storm. Wait for the official all clear
It is advisable to stay indoors until the storm stops.
1.Seek SOLID, ENCLOSED shelter but not under a tree. Go indoors whenever possible.
2. Seek shelter in a hard-top vehicle or solid building. Avoid small structures or fabric tents.
Stop at a place clear of trees and high objects.
AFTER a cyclone-
1.Don’t ignore warnings.
2. Do not go outside until officially advised it is safe to do so.
3. If windows or the roof is damaged or cracked, temporarily seal them with plastic sheets.
4.Check for gas leaks and wet electrical appliances.
5.Beware of damaged buildings and electric wires if outside.