The Chinese strongly believe that numbers affect a person's luck and fortune, and it is important to choose the right number. For example, 4 is a number that sounds similar to 'die' in Chinese and is greatly avoided. 58 which sounds like won't prosper in Cantonese are also dismissed. On the other hand, numbers that are usually associated with the number 8, which represents prosperity, are greatly welcomed by the Chinese. For example 84, which sounds like prosperous till death in Cantonese, or 18 which sounds like definitely prosper in Cantonese.
In addition, numbers 3, 6 and 9 are also good numbers when put together with the number 8 with other numbers, can aid in the person's chances of winning in gambling. For example, 1388 which sounds like prosperity in one's lifetime in Cantonese and 168 which sounds like prosper all the way in Cantonese are numbers that the Chinese belief are lucky and good.
Sometimes, Chinese gamblers perform rituals to wish for luck and prosperity from gods when they are gambling. They include offering fruits, offering joss sticks or simply just praying for luck.
Interested to know some ways to increase your fortune while gambling? Well, some of the Chinese superstitions concerning gambling are as follow:
- Wear red underwear when gambling.
- If you are on a losing streak, go to the washroom and relieve yourself. It can bring good luck.
- Females are more likely to win when they are having their period.
- Switch on all the lights at home before going out to gamble.
- Checking into hotel rooms with propitious numbers like 8, 18, 13, 168, 198, and 798 may bring good fortune too.
- The winning lottery numbers are actually present in the world around you waiting to be interpreted. E.g. the number on your car plate could be the numbers.
There are also inauspicious things to do while gambling according to the Chinese. Here are some of them:
- Never mention anything about books while gambling. “Books”, in Chinese, sounds similar to lose (“shu”).
- Do not count the money you gain or lose while gambling.
- Visiting religious places or religious leaders
- Touching of shoulders
- Try not to have sexual intimacy before gambling
- Try not to enter a casino by its entrance
- Staying in hotel rooms with inauspicious door numbers