Did you know that jellyfish are made up of 95% water. They are not really fish. They are soft, squishy and feel like plastic bags that have been filled with water. They feel like jellies, that is why they get the name. Do you want try to make your own jellyfish and feel it? If you are, here is a list of what you need to get started.
- Clear plastic bags: 2 (one large and one small)
- Any color food coloring (2 different colors)
- Bag tie
- A deep basic filled with water (or a deep kitchen or bathroom sink)
Take the large clear plastic bag and fill the bag half full with water. Add a few drops of food coloring.
Take the small clear plastic bad and fill it one-fourth full with water. Add a few drops of the second food coloring. This is the jellyfish's stomach.
Slowly and carefully insert the small plastic bag into the large plastic bag making sure they don't mix into each other. You may need a friend to make it easy.
Now, take the bag tie and tie the two bags together by bunching them at the top, preferably leaving at atleast two inches (or more) of the bunched plastic on top of the tie. Make sure that the tie is strong and that no water can spill if the bags are turned over.
Next, flip the bags over and let your jellyfish float in the basin of water.
Feel the bags as they float in the water; you will notice that they are really soft and squishy, just like a real jellyfish. Watch the tentacles (the part of the bags below the bag tie)
- Make sure that you do this fun activity near a sink or outside your house to prevent accidental spills.
- The bag tie should be tightly tied, otherwise the colored water would leak out of the bags into your water basin and your jellyfish will be floating in colored water and you will have difficulty seeing their tentacles.
- You may try this neat experiment using the same color food coloring. But our team found out it was hard to see the stomach of the jellyfish if both the bags contained the same color food coloring.