Fort Meade is located East of Sturgis in Meade county. Fort Meade was originally established as a Calvary fort for the 7th Calvary led by general Custer. But in 1878 it was used to protect new settlements and the gold in lead deadwood. All of Custer's men were men were slaughtered in the battle in the battle of the little big horn. Some of the units that replaced them in the time coming included the buffalo soldiers 10th Calvary mounted black troops the 88th glider infantry and the 4th Calvary. Ever since fort Meade has had some what of a military presence.
|Mt. Rushmore||You could say Fort Meade was the father of the national anthem because it was first played there on July 4,1892 at the end of a regimental band. Long after that In 1914 P. Woodrow Wilson signed an executive order declaring the song Caleb .H Carlton once used at retreat the national anthem. That song was the star spangled today known as the national anthem. in 1931 Congress singed the bill making it the official national anthem . Soon after that fort Meade became a hospital for veterans of foreign wars in 1944.|
|Sturgis, South Dakota|
|In the battle of the little big horn all of the 7th Calvary men and there horses died except Comanche , the brave battle horse. Fort Meade soon became famous for holding the one and only living thing left of the battle of the little big horn. Soon after, Comanche toured the country as a patriotic symbol. When Comanche passed away he was stabled at near by Fort Riley. Fort Riley soon sent Comanche to a taxidermist and stuffed. Comanche is still on display today.|